If you suffer from jaw pain, your trusted restorative dentist in Columbia, Maryland can help you with this issue. Our dentists understand that you may not only need to restore your smile but also your peace of mind. Most patients who suffer from jaw pain are experiencing a TMJ disorder or an issue with the temporomandibular joint of their jaw. It is also very common for our teeth-grinding patients to later develop a TMJ disorder. Nothing is more distracting than a sore jaw, which is why we offer TMJ treatment to our patients who need jaw pain relief.
TMJ Treatment in Columbia, MD
TMJ disorders can be treated in a variety of way depending on the severity of your symptoms. Our experienced dentists will consult with you on your symptoms and thoroughly evaluate the current condition of your teeth, gums, and jaw before determining the best treatment method to meet your needs. Columbia Family Dentist may recommend the following procedures as a part of your TMJ treatment plan:
- Clear Braces – If your bite pattern is determined to be the cause of your TMJ disorder, orthodontics can help reposition your natural bite. This also improves your chewing and speaking patterns, which if thrown off can be the cause of additional muscle strain that causes jaw pain.
- Night guards – If your TMJ disorder stems from teeth grinding complications, your dentist may recommend the use of a night guard to help prevent tooth damage and muscle strain. Night guards hold your jaw in a resting position that takes the strain off your facial muscles while you sleep, which can significantly reduce your jaw pain.
- Oral Surgery – For our most extreme cases of TMJ disorder, we may recommend oral surgery to correct your bite pattern and better your jaw alignment.
Because we offer comprehensive general, cosmetic, and restorative solutions all under one roof, we can provide you with a variety of different treatment options and follow through with each of them accordingly. You don’t have to seek outside help for your dental concerns at Columbia Family Dentist. We are here to provide you with the care you need to restore your smile.
TMJ Disorder Symptoms
Patients of all ages can develop a TMJ disorder, and may experience the following symptoms:
- Jaw pain
- Soreness around the temporomandibular joints.
- Difficulty chewing or speaking
- Popping or clicking joints when chewing or speaking
If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s important to mention this to our dentists at your next appointment. While we actively look for signs of jaw muscle strain or a misaligned bite during your appointments, it can be helpful to know which symptoms you experience outside of our office to best meet your TMJ treatment needs.
Frequent Questions About TMJ
How long does it take for TMJ to go away?
It may take a couple of days to months to see results from TMJ treatment. This is due to the fact that TMJ is a very dynamic issue that can affect patients differently. Most patients see results within a couple of weeks, although this may not fully cure your TMJ issues.
How do I relax my jaw with TMJ?
When you have TMJ, your dentist may recommend jaw exercises. These movements help relax your jaw and release tension in your muscles. Muscle tension is a major cause of TMJ pain in the jaw.
What is the best treatment for TMJ?
The best treatment for TMJ for most patients is a custom night guard. Night guards help realign your jaw while you sleep. This prevents many symptoms of TMJ from affecting you during the day. Some patients with major TMJ issues may benefit from orthodontics to oral surgery.
Schedule A TMJ Evaluation at Columbia Family Dentist
Don’t hesitate to contact our office if you’ve been experiencing jaw pain or any other symptoms of TMJ disorder. We are here to help you and offer you a variety of treatment options. Schedule an appointment with our doctors today, or call our office at 410-670-8211 if you have any further questions on TMJ treatment.