Invisalign in Columbia, MD
Invisalign treatment is a cosmetic dentistry alternative to traditional braces. Instead of using metal wires and brackets to straighten teeth, Invisalign uses clear, removable aligners. The aligners apply small amounts of pressure to gradually move a patient’s teeth into their new and proper position. Made of polyurethane plastic, Invisalign aligners are both durable and nearly invisible, allowing a patient to undergo orthodontic treatment discreetly, without the metallic look of traditional braces. If you are looking for a dentist in Columba, Maryland who can provide you with Invisalign treatment, look no further than Columbia Family Dentist.
Why do patients love Invisalign?
Patients love Invisalign because the retainers are:
- Easy to clean
Additionally, Invisalign retainers:
- Require no dietary restrictions
- Can stay in while drinking water
- Prevent damage from teeth grinding
How does Invisalign work?
After taking dental impressions and X-rays, we’ll determine the steps needed to move your teeth into a straighter position. After your initial appointment, we will use these impressions to create customized aligners that meet your orthodontic needs. You’ll wear each set of aligners for approximately two weeks before progressing onto the next set of aligners.
Invisalign will require some self-discipline on the patient’s part because they are only effective if consistently used. Invisalign must remain in your mouth for at least 22 hours out of the day so that your teeth are constantly under pressure to shift into a straighter position. Fortunately, the polyurethane plastic is much more comfortable than the metal wires and brackets of traditional braces. Because they are hardly noticeable when in use, this encourages patients to use them on a daily basis.
How do I know if Invisalign is right for me?
There are some orthodontic issues that may prevent patients from using Invisalign retainers. The shape and current position of your teeth greatly affect whether or not Invisalign will be an option for you. Additionally, your gums need to be healthy before the start of Invisalign treatment begins. Other issues that could affect a patient’s ability to receive Invisalign treatment include:
- Dental bridges, porcelain veneers or crowns – Patients who have already received pre-dental work before Invisalign treatment are less likely to be considered a good candidate. This is because the retainers cannot bond to the surface of these attachments.
- Large gaps – There are some gaps that Invisalign cannot close. If a gap in your teeth goes above 6mm wide, it is unlikely that Invisalign will be recommended to you.
- Overcrowding – If you are in need of a tooth extraction, Invisalign may not be recommended to you. Additionally, the plastic retainers cannot be used immediately after extraction as this extra space affects the fit of the retainers.
The only way to know for sure if Invisalign is right for you is to schedule an appointment with Columbia Family Dentist. Tell our top Columbia dentists that you are interested in our Invisalign solutions. From there, our team will evaluate the current condition of your smile to determine if this treatment option will best meet your dental health and aesthetic needs. We look forward to discussing the benefits of Invisalign with you and determining whether or not they will meet your needs.