Everyone wants to make a good first impression. One of the first things people notice about you is your smile, so it’s important to take good care of it outside of the dentist’s office. Here are our best tips on brushing and flossing, as well as other oral hygiene tips to keep in mind.
- Brush Twice a Day At Least: You should be brushing your teeth thoroughly after each meal and before bedtime. Hold your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle toward your gums and gently move the brush back and forth in short strokes. Remember to brush the outer, inner, and chewing surfaces of your teeth, avoiding scrubbing too hard as this can cause gum damage.
- Make Sure You’re Getting Enough Fluoride: Fluoride makes tooth enamel stronger and helps prevent tooth decay for patients of all ages. We recommend always using fluoride-based toothpaste when brushing your teeth. Ask your dentist for specific brand recommendations.
- Floss At Least Once a Day: Flossing your teeth reduces your risk of gum disease drastically. This is because it helps prevent plaque buildup in the hard-to-reach spaces between your teeth and lose to your gum line. Gently curve the floss around the base of each tooth, pulling it through the spaces between your teeth. Do not pop the floss through your teeth spaces, as this can cut your gums.
- Use Mouth Rinse: In addition to your regular brushing and flossing routine, you should use a mouth rinse to prevent bad breath. Dr. Sahil Goyal recommends a therapeutic mouth rinse to his patients for daily prevention of bad breath.
- See Your Dentist Regularly: It is recommended that you see your general dentist at least twice a year for regular dental exams and cleanings. Even the most thorough oral hygiene patients need to seek professional dental care to avoid missing crucial dental concerns that may present with no symptoms.
Schedule An Appointment
If you are looking for a compassionate, comprehensive general dentist in Columbia, Maryland, our team at Columbia Family Dentist would be happy to see you in our office. Schedule an appointment online or contact our team at 410-670-8211.